Aug 9, 2006
The FIRST Pilotcast videocast from EAA Airventure 2006
A Pilotcast Exclusive! Alan Klapmeier, co-founder and president
of Cirrus Design joins the Hangar Flying on The Pilotcast with
Recorded on July 29, 2006 - 00:12:52 - 74.1MB
- Alan Klapmeier always thought he would run an airplane company
He has realized his life's dream.
- The Cirrus SR-22 is #1 largest selling single model airplane in
- The history of Cirrus Design
- Designed the first airplane in 1979
- Cirrus Design incorporated in 1984
- Its roots are with a kit homebuilt
- Designed and sold
- A kit aircraft
- A pressurized turboprop
- A UAV for the U.S. military
- The Cirrus VK30
- "...it should have been a jet."
- Sold about 40 kits
- A flying VK30 is featured in the "One Six Right"
- Was high performance but tricky to fly.
- After the VK30 experience, Cirrus decided to focus on an easy
to fly, safe design.
- Q: "Will you be producing a jet?"
A: "Yes. Someday!"
- "We now believe we can make a personal jet that is virtually as
easy to fly as this airplane."
- "We don't have any plans in the Light Sport area."
Other topics discussed:
- The new turbocharged SR-22.
- What is Cirrus doing to make it easier to obtain insurance
coverage for a Cirrus product?
- The story behind Cirrus aircraft being equipped with a
- Why does Cirrus have the Avidyne glass cockpit vs. the more
popular ones from Garmin?
- The new Cirrus Access training program for new Cirrus owners
with no flying experience.
- New Cirrus financial, warranty and used airplane programs.
This is a QuickTime format video that is compatible with the
"video iPod" but can be played with the free Apple
QuickTime player on most computers.