Mar 2, 2006
Special guest "Pilot Rick" Durden, host of "The Pilot's Lounge"
column on AVweb.com, joins the Hangar Flying with Pilot Dan, Pilot
Kent, and Pilot Mike. Kent reports on Rick's annual ski
Some feedback and followups:
- Email from "Student Pilot Clayton:" A pilot in his RC
flying club near Madison, WI flew a model J3 Cub to 6100 feet.
Congratulations to newly minted "CFI AA," Pete
- "Pilot Rinker" Buck reads the audio book version of the "Flight
of Passage" book available from the iTunes
Music Store and
Audible.com. The movie rights to "Flight of Passage" have
been optioned again.
In the news:
- A 14 year old boy and his buddy running away from home steal
Dad's Mooney in Palm Springs. They crash in the desert.
AOPA's "GA Secure" program worked.
A surprise guest:
- A surprise guest pilot for Pilot Dan has been invited to join
the Pilotcast. His comments may be of concern to his
wife...and his AME.
- Song: "Crack the Sky" by Joe
- Rick's latest column: "The Pilot's Lounge
#97: Precautionary Landings"
- link: http://avweb.com/news/columns/191533-1.html
- Making a precautionary landing on a frozen lake.
- The difficulty of landing in snow in flat light.
- Having a way to get to safety and maybe, get the plane
- Off-airport landings do not necessarily have to reported to the
FAA or NTSB.
- You usually don't need permission to take off. Just
prepare and use care!
- Are highways good landing sites?
- A highway takeoff can be difficult,
- It might be better to have mechanic remove the wings and haul
the plane out on a truck.
- There are many power lines.
- Was one mile in five of the U.S. Interstate highway system
design to serve as a runway? Nope! http://www.tfhrc.gov/pubrds/mayjun00/onemileinfive.htm
- Interstates are not bad choice for landing at night.
- You can't see the power lines. Look for the power
- The highway median is not a choice.
- Is it safe to fly across a long stretch of water like Lake
- How high do you have be to be able to glide to shore?
- Calculating the point of no return.
- The danger of flying over water on hazy summer days. You can
have no reference of the horizon.
- How Rick plans the topic of the next "The Pilot Lounge"
- The water skiing T6s:
- Stories and inconsiderate pilots who damage how we look to the
- The runaway kids who stole the Mooney.
- The drunk pilot who wasn't a pilot.
- Pilots who refuse to "Fly friendly"
- Seven fatal GA crashes last week near Washington, DC.
- Kent will to return KCAD next winter and go for his
seaplane rating next summer.
- Rick has a seaplane party right before Oshkosh.
- Coming soon on The Pilotcast: the return of "A&P Tom."
- Dan's club has decided to go for a Cessna 150 or 152 rather
than the 182.
- Mike has a close encounter with a plane turning the wrong
- Expensive annuals.
- Aircraft owner nightmares.
- Check out some other recommended aviation podcasts:
- Closing song: "Winter Sky" by Torchomatic
Pilotcast show notes are at http://www.pilotcast.com
A Word from our sponsor:
Music on The Pilotcast is from The Podshow Podsafe Music
Network. Check it out at http://music.podshow.com