Feb 19, 2006
Special guest "Pilot Rinker" Buck, aviation author and
journalist, joins the Hangar Flying with Pilot Dan, Pilot Kent
and Pilot Mike.
- Pilot Kent is on the road, joining by cell phone
- The Pilotcast is (occasionally) in the top ten podcasts in the
iTunes Music Store under the Transportation category!
- The Pilotcast hosts a fun and informative hangar flying
conversation with "Pilot Rinker" Buck.
- Rinker's books
- Flight of Passage: A Memoir
- Rinker's father "Tex" Buck was a great pilot and well-known
aviator and barnstormer
- The Buck Family has 11 children.
- Rinker accompanied his 17 year old brother Kern on a cross
country flight to California in a Piper J3 Cub
- It was a record for the youngest pilot ever to make a flight of
- The "Passage" in the story is not only the trip but the
life passage of the brothers.
- "If We Had Wings: The Enduring Dream of Flight" is a fun,
informative, and colorful "coffee table book" with a celebration of
aviation and it's history..
- "Shane Comes Home" is the story of the first U.S. soldier
killed in Iraq, a Marine who had made great achievements and stood
up for principles in the academy.
- First Job is Rinker's biography with details of how he
became a journalist
- Rinker's gives his take on:
- Modern aircraft
- Modern aircraft systems
- New pilots
- Can flying be "safe" now?
- Rinker on how the news media covers aviation
- Editors see little need to have aviation experts.
- There are very few journalists who are pilots.
- Some reporters called him when he wrote about the J.F.K.,
In the news:
Steve Fossett made it!
Song: "Flying Away" by Empyrion from the State of Washington.
Music on the Pilotcast is from the Podshow Podsafe Music Network.
Check it out at http://music.podshow.com
Pilotcast show notes are at http://www.pilotcast.com