Feb 8, 2006
Pilot Dan's report on the Kappa KP-5 Light Sport aircraft.
Hangar Flying with Pilot Dan, Pilot Kent, and Pilot Mike.
Pilot Kent is on the road and is joining by cell phone.
- The Kappa Aircraft Company web site: http://www.kappaaircraft.com
- Greg MacArthur, Manager of Sales and Marketing
- Would this make a good training aircraft?
- How does it fly?
- Edwin R. Miller, President, E.R. Miller Enterprises
dba Kappa Aircraft
- Jihlavan company: http://www.jihlavan.cz/gb/index.htm
- Jihlavan Aircraft Company: http://www.ultralight.cz/
- Metal construction.
- The Rotax engine is water cooled.
- Runs at a High RPM. The prop is geared.
- It starts and stops instantly like a motorcycle engine.
- The seats and controls are staggered about 8 inches for
- Has a hand brake.
- Has electric trim only.
- It has large fowler flaps with a manual flap lever.
- Has GREAT visibility from the cockpit.
- Very responsive.
- The trim is touchy.
- Has minimal avionics with a moving map GPS display.
- Drawbacks: The cost could easily reach $100,000.
- Fuel burn rate is 4.4 GPH
- 5:1 engine to prop ratio, the engine runs at 5100 RPM!
- It has a 1500 hour TTOH.
- There are 85 or 100 HP versions of the Rotax engine.
- FADEC? It has no mixture control.
- The engine has a great reputation.
- The company seems "on the ball."
- They are located at Pocono Mountain airport.
- Dan's club has to decide whether they want an SUV or a
- Reviews of the Kappa KP-5
Pilotcast feedback and follow ups:
- "CFI Ron" and "Pilot Brian" got in touch and figured out that
the "VFR corridor" Ron mentioned between Dulles and the ADIZ is
inside the Dulles Class B airspace.
- "Pilot Jim" says that it is Airbus who needs to be able to land
at Las Vegas as the alternate airport to LAX.
In the news:
- AOPA awarded the 2005 Sweepstakes Commander to a pilot in
Colorado. The secret almost got out ahead of time. If
you won a $300,000 aircraft could you keep it?
- Pilot Steve Fossett will launch for the longest flight around
the world in the GlobalFlyer jet.http://www.virginatlanticglobalflyer.com
- From the AvWeb Newswire http://www.avweb.com:
- In Elkhorn, Nebraska, a prisoner who cannot drive because he
was convicted of vehicular homicide can solo a plane as part of his
- In Alabama wing tip found from crashed Saratoga is said to
contain bullet holes.
- In Tennessee, a teen aged non-pilot steals a plane and buzzes
his girlfriend's house for revenge.
- A pair of Shorts cargo planes from the same freight company
collide in mid-air over Wisconsin. One is lost. http://www.forbes.com/home/feeds/ap/2006/02/07/ap2504843.html
Coming up on The Pilotcast:
- Author and journalist Rinker Buck, author of "Flight of
- A Civil Air Patrol officer
- "Ask the AME (Aviation Medical Examiner). Send your medical
questions to the Pilotcast by email, on the blog, or by
Song: "Fly Away" by Paula Toledo from Vancouver, BC, Canada.
Paula's web site is http://www.paulatoledo.com
Music on the Pilotcast is from the Podshow Podsafe Music Network.
Check it out at http://music.podshow.com
Pilotcast show notes are at http://www.pilotcast.com