Jan 22, 2006
Feedback, follow ups, glass cockpits and other new topics.
Hangar Flying with Pilot Dan,Pilot Kent, and Pilot Mike.
- Thanks to AOPA ePilot Flight Training Edition for the mention
of the Pilotcast . The Pilotcast was mentioned along with
Jason Miller's The Finer
Points in the Volume 6, Issue 2 January 13, 2006 AOPA ePilot
Flight Training Edition. AOPA members can get a copy of
the January 13 issue on the AOPA Flight Training
- Thanks to the Pilotcast's "Apple Army" http://store.apple.com
- The amazing technology used in producing the Pilotcast
- Responses to emails to the Pilotcast:
- "Pilot Peter" in Germany tells us there is no Czechoslovakia
and besides they've got a long history of making great
- If you email us we might invite you to join.
- Shoutout to Pilot Xavier from France, now in the U.K.
- "Pilot M.D.": Does the Hudson River freeze over?
Yes...and the Coast Guard is not always nearby to lend a
hand. The NYPD patrols the river.
- "Pilot Ian" from Germany wants to know about aviation fuel and
- Flying in Germany?
- "Pilot Peter": Germany will have a 30nm TFR over The World
- "Pilot Russ": Wants to know about homebuilts.
- Coming topics: aircraft ownership, weather, the Civil Air
- "CFI Joe" has follow up comments on "We have met the enemy and
he is us."
- The Cleveland, Ohio GADO had hand out cards that were not
exactly well received.
- How a CFI can handle the high expectations of problem
- Kent's report on flying with glass cockpits.
- Flying from Albert Whitted field, which was threatened like
- At first you have information overload.
- Graphic engine monitor.
- Manufacturers of glass panels:
- Kent likes the Garmin G1000
- The Avidyne looks dated.
- Using the panel vs. "steam gauges." The steam gauges are
not placed well.
- The high resolution makes any change on the AI look large.
- Critical speeds are marked on the "tape" but are not placed
- Traffic display was very useful.
- The engine display. It was nice having an engine analyzer for
tasks like leaning.
- Data like winds aloft is always displayed.
- Avidyne vs. Garmin.
- Avidyne is self contained.
- Garmin has remote modules.
- The Sagem is scheduled to be installed in the Seawind.
- You get a choice of Garmin or Avidyne panels in Diamond and
Kent's pictures of his Florida flight in the
G1000 equipped 172
- The DC ADIZ
- "CFI Ron" and "Pilot Brian" are BOTH right about the VFR
corridor around Dulles.
- The NPR is open for comments on the permanent ADIZ until
February 6th. Send your comments. Send a copy to
your congressional representatives. See Pilotcast
#007 for instructions on how to send your comments.
- Mainstream media is reporting that the decision on the
permanent ADIZ is a "done deal."
- AOPA President Phil Boyer's comments at the public hearing on
the ADIZ including his personal amazing story of HIS encounter
with ADIZ "enforcement." http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9216902498481585229
- The 24 hour annual TFR for the State of the Union address will
close DC to GA.
- The Superbowl Sunday TFR is 30 miles, which would extend into
Canada. The U.S. asked Canada to co-operate to close the circle.
Canada doesn't have TFRs!
- How much a threat is a Cessna 150? One was almost brought
down by a kite.
- Kent dealt with the real ADIZ, hostile terrian below, and a
restricted area for a balloon tether in Florida.
- AOPA is reporting that a large number of members are
reporting being ramped checked.
- AOPA's advice:
- DON'T CARRY your pilot or aircraft LOG BOOKS.
- Be polite.
- You do not have to allow the inspector to enter your
- In the news: PIREP: "SR22 at 7000 feet, encountered icing,
aircraft descending under parachute" in Alabama on Friday the
- Author Rinker Buck of "Flight of Passage" will join
- Coming up on Pilotcast #23: Terry Lankford, author, Gold
Seal CFI, Flight Briefer and weather expert