Jan 13, 2006
Special guest "Pilot Rick" Durden, host of "The Pilot's Lounge"
column on AVweb.com, joins the Hangar Flying with Pilot Dan, Pilot
Kent, and Pilot Mike.
- Rick's "The Pilot Lounge" column on AVweb.com:
- Rick's latest column: "Amazing! There are TFRs that Make
- TFRs have always been in place over disaster areas.
- Rick talked to the official in charge of the Hurricane Katrina
- The officials in charge of the TFRs for forest fires were put
in charge of those for hurricane relief.
- G.A. Pilots CAN get access to the area to lend a hand in
relief. Just read the NOTAM for the contact.
- Were there a lot TFR by busts by pilots before 9/11?
- Rick's bio.
- He has CFI and ATP ratings and is an aviation lawyer.
- Rick was a member of a Flight Explorer post sponsored by a
- He was a crop duster...until his father found out!
- The dangers of crop dusting,
- He was an an airport kid until he discovered...
- Do commercial students have a future? It is a financial
- Issues in Aviation Insurance:
- Are insurance rates out of control?
- How and why the aviation insurance industry changed.
- Many insurers did not make money most years in the late 1980's
and the 90s.
- Insurers lost money when the stock market crashed.
- Does incorporating the aircraft ownership help protect the
- Watch the sub-limits. Owners and pilots should have "smooth"
- Pilots are not protected unless they are a named insured.
- Renters are not safe under the FBO's insurance policy. In
subrogation, the FBO's insurance company may come after the
- How about flying clubs?
- Check to see if you still need renter's insurance.
- Work with your broker to let the insurance company know your
true risk factor.
- Get recurrent training every 6 months! It is the cheapest
insurance you can buy.
- Rick's take on "We have met the enemy and he is us."
- "The instructor's obligation."
- Dealing with problem pilots.
- How people rate their own competence.
- How they react to criticism of their skills
- Non-instructors should get someone else, like an instructor, to
step when concerned about a "problem pilot."
- There is new plan for Aviation Safety Counselors.
- Pilot decision making when things go wrong.
- Landing on a taxiway?
- Off-airport landings.
- Make the decision to take the safe out and least you'll be
alive to answer for the consequences.
- "A 709 ride is painless."
- "Do something to get people down safely."
- "We can imagine getting into trouble. We can't imagine getting
- How to handle a 709 ride Catch-22.
- Renting a tailwheel plane.
- Flying in a ski plane or seaplane.
- Rick is throwing a "Super Cub on skis" party at KCAD in
- Landing on frozen lakes.
- Landing in snow in flat light.
- How to tell if the ice is thick enough.
- Can you land anywhere?
- They used to dock seaplanes at Navy Pier in Chicago.
- Rick's take on Meigs Field destruction.
- The legacy of Admiral Balbo.
- Mayor Daley's legacy.
- The need for airports for emergency relief.
- The "temporary" concert venue there now.
- Can we hope for an election in Chicago?
- The controversy over the runway conveyor belt quiz.
- The conveyor belt runway runs in the opposite direction to the
aircraft. Will the plane get airborne?
- Understanding the physics of flight.
- Ground speed vs. indicated airspeed.
- "Any other traffic please advise."
- Proper phraseology on the radio.
- Pilots should higher standard.
In the news:
- AOPA is fighting TFRs and plan for UAVs patrolling the
U.S./Mexico border in Nogales, AZ.
- Warrior with CFI and student crashes into the chilly Hudson
River in NYC while flying the NYC VFR corridor.
- The drunk student pilot who stole a Cessna in Connecticut,
landed a taxiway with beer cans falling out the door, pleads guilty
in New York.
- The NTSB report is published on the Cessna Caravan "which had a
- A fatal Cirrus SR-20 crash in Lancaster, California. The chute
might have deployed afterwards.
- The Global Flyer was damaged when it hit a fuel truck.
- The reliability of eyewitness reports.
A Word from our sponsor:
Song: "Fly, Fly, Fly" by Adrina Thorpe
Music on the Pilotcast is from The Podsafe Music Network. Check it
out at http://music.podshow.com
Pilotcast show notes are at http://www.pilotcast.com