Dec 22, 2005
Special guest "A&P Tom" joins the holiday Hangar Flying with
Pilot Dan, Pilot Kent, and Pilot Mike to talk about aircraft
engines and winter operations and much more in very informative
show for pilots and aircraft owners.
- When do you need to pre-heat?
- Is multi-weight oil less of a problem?
- Which kind of preheat system is best?
- What's the biggest mistake pilots make with their engines?
- How long should you warm up the engine?
- Why should we lean the mixture on the ground?
- What about diesel engines?
- Getting oil from coal. America has great resources.
- When do you need to overhaul the engine?
- Can you run the engine past TBO?
- The problem with vibration. More than the passengers are
bothered by vibration.
- Those old radial engines heavily consume fuel and oil. That's
why war birds cost so much to fly.
- The best ways to preheat.
- Heat the cabin, too.
- How long to heat.
- Clean the ice and snow from the wings. A tip on how to keep
your wings clean.
- Winterization plates and other ways to block the oil
- Run the engine long enough to remove water from the oil
- How to tell of there's still moisture in the oil.
- How to check for a sign of engine corrosion.
- Kent's recent problems getting his cold Cessna 182 to run
- A technique for cold starts using the primer.
- Proper technique for priming the engine.
- "Never take your hand off the throttle?" Oh yeah?
In the news:
- The Southwest 737 runway overrun at Midway.
- How the autobrakes (antiskid) works
- Landlocked airports
- A bit more doubletalk from the City of Chicago
- The crash of the Grumman Mallard in Miami.
- NTSB reports the wing spar had cracks.
- The PT6 turbine conversion.
- Tom: Cracks don't necessarily mean an aircraft is not
- A Beech accident in Connecticut. A 78 year old
pilot survives an emergency landing in trees.
- An update on the flight status of one Mr. Claus.
- Coming on the Pilotcast: What Dan learned about the tax status
of airplane clubs.
- An update from Kent on his club's search for a new plane.
A Word from our sponsor:
Podsafe music is from The Podsafe Music Network. Check it out at
- "Deck the Halls with We Wish You A Merry Christmas - Piano
Solo" by Doug Boldt
- "Santa Please Go To New Orleans" by Lee Harris and Loose
- "This White Christmas Will Be Blue" by Beatrice Ericsson
Pilotcast show notes are at http://www.pilotcast.com