Feb 10, 2008
CFIcast #008 - CFIs on Flight reviews, check rides, and IPCs -
CFIs on Pilot Examiners - Certified Flight Instructor Aviation
Podcast - 2007.07.19
Enjoy listening and learning as you eavesdrop on the Hangar
Flying conversation with Certified Flight Instructors!
The CFIcast #8 CFI panel:
- Your host: Rick Durden, CFI, Aviation lawyer and author of
Pilot's Lounge" column on AvWeb.com and articles for AOPA Pilot
and Aviation Safety, from Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Tony Condon, CFI, student and glider pilot & instructor
from Ames, Iowa
- Ron Levy, CFI, a Professional Instrument Courses -
P.I.C 10 day course instructor from Maryland
- Dr. Judy Parrish-Jones,
Ph.D., CFI professor of Geological Sciences and former Dean of
Sciences at the University of Idaho in Moscow, Idaho
Topics discussed by CFIcast Certified Flight Instructor panel:
- CFIs on what to expect on a flight review
FAA Advisory Circular 61.98A
- How CFIs evaluate a pilot
- Make the review match the kind of flying the pilot does
- Evaluate the pilot's knowledge of new issues on regulations
like stadium TFRs
- Ask the pilot what they would like to review
- How long does a flight review take?
- Do a pre-review interview
- Common problem areas that should be covered
- Maintaining control on landing
- Landings and takeoffs on short, narrow, and/or grass
- Using too much runway
- Even flying straight and level
- How many flight reviews end in one session?
- How do pilots evaluate their own competence?
- Pilots who try to intimidate the CFI
- The instrument Practical Test Standards
- Ron: The flight review is a training event. The IPC is a check
- Tony: Crank up the stress on the IPC
- Rick: The FAA regulations are only the minimum standards.
Should we have tougher standards?
FAA FAR 61.57 on the Instrument Proficiency Check
- CFIs get to know the DPEs
- Does the CFI talk to DPE before the checkride?
- Pick a DPE that is nearby?
- Should the CFI brief the student on what the DPE asks?
- CFIs sharing DPE evaluations
- DPEs who don't do checkrides "by the book"
- The CFI keeping tabs on the applicant's practical test
- "Maverick" DPEs -Are there active DPEs who should be
- Should the CFI be concerned if the DPE doesn't seem to cover
Recorded Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 01:02:13 -
"Learn to Fly" by Josh Woodward
"Flying Away" by Empyrion from the State of Washington
Music on the CFIcast is from the Podshow Podsafe Music Network.
Check it out at http://music.podshow.com
Copyright © 2007, 2008 The Pilotcast